Tuesday, July 21, 2009

And so it begins...

For the past ten years, I have publically denounced the Harry Potter series as mediocre, overhyped, and just generally undeserving of the fanfare. It was born mostly out of a sense of booksnobbery, but also partly because of my loyalty to Lord of the Rings and all things Tolkien. But something has changed...

That something is Twilight.

And in light of the recent suckage of popular "literature", I've realized that...well, maybe Harry Potter deserves a chance. I mean, surely overhyped barely-developed wizards are better than sparkly, bipolar vampires?

So starting next Tuesday, I will begin to read Harry Potter, starting with Book One (because a certain singing nanny told me the beginning is a very good place to start) and because I am narcisstic and needy, I will blog my thoughts and experiences which will hopefully give all of you (whom I am sure have read these books long, long ago) feelings of nostalgia of how it was to read them with fresh eyes.

Sound good?

We'll see.

7 comments:

  1. You won't regret it, darling. I hope...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise you will love them ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harry Potter and all the varios characters in it confuse me. That's why my friends don't take me to see the movies anymore, because I have to check back on people and backgrounds non-stop.

    We're on one page abut Twilight!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a feeling you'll like it more than you think you will. And even if you don't, I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them.

    Just remember, they started out as kiddie books, so the first few are fairly juvenile. Don't give up just because they seem childish -- it gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll love them as long as you don't go into them expecting something unenjoyable. I agree with Candice, I loved the first four but 5, 6, and 7 were what really captured my heart. Give them a fair shot and never compare them to Twilight, because the two are completely diffrerent things. I always laugh when I hear them being compared because they're on totally different levels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm actually fairly excited about starting this new venture. I'm not expecting greatness, but I am expecting a nice little ride. Kind of disappointed that I have to wait to Tuesday though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're right about Harry Potter, though I have to admit to reading them all. I always say that J.K. had a great idea but that I wish somebody else had written the books for her. I've steered well clear of Twilight, so far, but will be interested to read what you make of HP. I miss you over at the board, by the way ... miss the days of those epic name games :(

    ReplyDelete